It’s Career Development Month! Here are seven ways to celebrate by nurturing your own professional growth:
- Expand your network. Join local professional organizations to develop relationships for personal and professional growth as well as for references and insight on education, training, and job leads.
- Be a mentor and a mentee. Make an effort to pass along your wisdom and life lessons to others. But how about finding a mentor of your own? A mentor can drive your career forward. Challenge yourself to both receive and deliver career advice to others.
- Prioritize professional development. Seek out PD opportunities to increase your subject matter knowledge and sharpen your skills. Would a certification or degree put you in a better position to advance in your career?
- Do your homework. Read blogs, magazines, and trade publications relevant to your field to improve your knowledge and stay current on best practices and trends.
- Check your social media presence. What does your online persona share with the world? Does your LinkedIn profile need an update? Run a social media audit on yourself. Are you making a good impression, or a bad one?
- Evaluate your personal brand. Do you have an elevator speech prepared for your next job interview? A good place to start is by writing yourself a mission statement or manifesto.
- Volunteer. If you feel like you’re “missing something” even in a satisfactory occupation, find opportunities to make a difference in your community. Volunteering gives you the chance to add to your skill set and and gain experience.